Carbon monoxide (also known as CO) is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause illness, loss of consciousness and even death.

If you suspect anyone in your house has been poisoned by carbon monoxide and has any of the associated symptoms, get fresh air immediately, then go to your doctor and ask him/her to check for carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you find anyone in your house unconscious, call a doctor immediately.

If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, take action:

  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the area.
  • Stop using/turn off any fuel-burning appliances immediately.
  • Get everyone out into fresh air.
  • If you're sure you are not suffering any symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, call a qualified service agent to check your appliances before you re-use them.
  • If you are still worried, call the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Line on 1800 89 89 89.

Find out if you know the facts about carbon monoxide

Take the quiz
Tommy and Drina

Advice on carbon monoxide

Call 1800 89 89 89