Detect carbon monoxide
Installing a carbon monoxide alarm could save your life.
Alarms are no substitute for prevention, but if there is carbon monoxide in your home, you need an alarm to detect it and alert you.
Buying an alarm
Alarms are available in most hardware or DIY shops and some larger supermarkets. Basic models usually cost between €20 and €30.
Your alarm should:
- be audible. A visual indicator is no use if you're asleep.
- carry the CE mark and comply with the European Standard EN 50291.
- have an ‘end-of-life’ indicator to tell you when it needs to be replaced.
- carry a mark of independent certification such as a Kitemark. It is recommended that you do not purchase an alarm that does not have this.
Installing your alarm
Follow the manufacturer instructions when installing your alarm or have a qualified installer fit it for you. If anything is unclear, contact the manufacturer for guidance.
Install an alarm in every room that has a fuel-burning appliance and one within 5m (16ft) of every bedroom.
Alarms should also be fitted in caravans, boats and any other location where fuel is burned.
Watch this video to see where you may need to place carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
If the alarm(s) cannot be heard in all rooms, particularly living rooms and bedrooms, you can use an advanced device that connects units around the house. If an interconnected alarm detects carbon monoxide, it will trigger the other units. This means you'll be able to hear your alarm from all rooms.
Test alarms regularly by pushing the 'test' button on your device at least once a week. Replace an alarm if it displays an error or does not function when tested.
Replacing your alarm
Carbon monoxide alarms have a limited lifetime, and the manufacturer will specify when it should be replaced. It is recommended that you buy alarms that incorporate an end-of-life indicator.
Replace an alarm that has reached the end of its life. Never hold on to a carbon monoxide alarm after its useful date has expired.
What to do if your alarm goes off
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the area.
- Stop using/turn off any fuel-burning appliances immediately.
- Get everyone out into fresh air.
- If you're not suffering any symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, call a qualified service agent to check your appliances before you re-use them.
- If you're still worried, call the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Line on 1850 79 79 79.