Signs and symptoms
What to look out for
You can't see it, smell it or taste it. But there are ways to detect if carbon monoxide is present.
Signs of carbon monoxide in your home
Signs of carbon monoxide may include:
- staining, sooting or discolouring around an appliance
- condensation on your windows and/or walls when an appliance is on
- a strange smell when an appliance is on (remember: carbon monoxide itself has no smell but other fumes produced by burning may smell.)
- a yellow or orange flame on a gas appliance that is normally blue
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:
- flu-like symptoms e.g. drowsiness and headaches
- chest pains
- nausea (feeling sick)
- lack of energy (general lethargy)
Other clues that might indicate that carbon monoxide is causing the symptoms include:
- symptoms occurring when a particular appliance is on
- others in the property (including pets) suffering similar symptoms
- symptoms improving when you are away from the property
What to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning
- Open doors and windows to ventilate the area.
- Stop using/turn off any fuel-burning appliances immediately.
- Get everyone out into fresh air.
- If you're sure you are not suffering any symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, call a qualified service agent to check your appliances before you re-use them.
- If you are still worried, call the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Line on 1800 89 89 89.